Wednesday, October 1, 2008

31 Days Hath October


More plans than usual this month are spurring me on to get things going while I can. I want to remember these colors for the leafless autumn days ahead so I pieced and dissected a CQ block in a what iffing kind of way...colors for the sun to infuse through the bare branches. We are at peak right now. Lots of winter preparations around the house and a trip to Detroit are in the works so I'm sure this month will fly by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had posted photos of a block I also pieced for the Octobers TIF.. Looking at what I'd made here made me ill so I deleted it. I'll have to rethink it and try again. It was hideous, the colors putrid and not a good portrayal at all of what I feel about my workspace.. a great concept for this month too BTW, Thanks Sharon. Here are my spaces... sorry if you've seen any of these pics before...

The main "station" in the loft bedroom, where machine sewing, cutting and prep get done. Storage resides here as well in a closet, a cedar chest and under bed. (There's also a 1/2 bath up here so I could stay indefinately LOL)

The bar in the kitchen is another great place to spread out (we have no kitchen table, for good or bad)


but the best space to hand stitch is in the living room , if you can find a spot before a dog does. My space is pretty personal to me and more deserving of something different for this months project than the pathetic CQ block aforementioned. So much for trying to force something...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I 'd found this bag at Vinnies for $1... it has pockets for photos in the side.I'd used it in the boat this summer and liked how it kept contents dry... so I timtexed some batiks for the see through insets and have a real sturdy waterproof tote now. I'll be using this on my trip.


I also wanted to share these photos I took last weekend... the first is on the way to the marina. This spot is less than a mile from Superior and one of the prettiest places for its river of ferns and jungle-ish feel.

and this would be the last fall bouquet... frost advisory for this Thursday night.



next post will have Augs TIF block finished, ... am adding beads and snagables now.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

Beautiful colors - they look very similar to the bouquet.

Teresa said...

Beautiful colors - they look very similar to the bouquet.

Guzzisue said...

Another neat and tidy workspace... me jealous...I try hard but after a few days I end up back in the same mess!!

allie aller said...

I just love the block...the crazy pieced frame within the overall crazy block is something I've never seen before. I would love to try that one!

It is so great to see inside your home so I can imagine you working in there. And the fall colors..to die for!

I'm reading a book right now that makes me think of you, because it is set in the UP. It's by Jim Harrison, called "Returning to Earth". VERY highly recommended....

Threadspider said...

That's a really great crazy block, Jane and captures those incredible autumn colours. Our trees are only just getting started.
I agree, it was great to see where you create. I can "see" you working away with the dogs in there. Enjoy your trip.

Gayle said...

Oh, one of my favorite songs popped up on your blog (These are Days)! I loved your post...your home is beautiful and the trees so colorful. :-)Gayle

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Oh, good find on the bag, I feel a tug of jealousy. I can't remember seeing your work spaces before, really nice, I could be happy there. Your fall colors are really popping out. Goodness, winter will be here before we know it.

gocrazywithme said...

Hi Jane,
Love the colors in the autumn block; hope you'll post a pic of it again after embellishment. Our mountain trees have changed, but here in the valley they're just getting started. Fall lasts a really long time here, which is nice.

Anonymous said...

Super block, hope it isn't the one you are referring to further down as lame! Gorgeous fall colors.